On Feb 22 at 5:45 p.m., a bus carrying university students on the interchange to Jungang Expressway in Danyang County, North Chungcheong Province crashed onto the guard rail, overturned, and fell 5 metres below. The bus was headed to Kangwon-do as part of Kumoh National Institute of Technology's 3 days and 2 nights OT retreat for new students. Representatives from the institution say that the bus of the accident was carrying math and chemistry majors and that over 1000 students divided by 25 buses were on their way to the retreat.
(t/n: OT = orientation, MT = membership training;
It's typically a retreat that takes part away from the city, such as in the countryside or the mountain area, to bond and build relationships between group members from companies or universities.)
All 44 students were transferred for treatment with 3 to 5 severely wounded while the rest suffered from minor injuries. The driver also suffered from serious injuries and was transferred to the hospital. Police report that most of the students were wearing seat belts and they are currently investigating whether it was caused because of a slippery road. The university has since stopped the OT retreat and are in the process of bringing the students back home.
1. [+6535, -56] Rest in peace.
2. [+5197, -54] I saw the article and hoped no one died.. rest in peace..
3. [+4516, -60] This is why we must wear seat belts..
4. [+6073, -587] We need to get rid of OTs, just have it in the auditorium and let the people go home.. geez
> [+244, -500] Do we really need to go that far as to get rid of it;;
> [+430, -104] It's because the same accidents are becoming frequent.. I'm saying this as a university graduate and office worker now...
> [+823, -41] We do need to get rid of it. When I was in my first year, I just paid for weird fees ㅋㅋ If not, at least make it voluntary instead.
> [+596, -22] I've wanted to go on an OT and when I did go for 1 night and 2 days, it was the worst thing ever..
> [+126, -351] That's like saying to get rid of cars since there's so many car accidents
> [+710, -32] OTs are pretty much useless now, you end up being close once you get to know people at school anyway.
> [+408, -28] People who haven't gone to university are trying to pick a fight, OTs truthfully don't have any meaning anymore. All you do there is get wasted
5. [+3295, -165] Why does this always happen every time there's an OT?
6. [+707, -19] I also attended an OT back in the days but I don't get why we still have them.. I have no other memories except the seniors using drinking games to discipline the juniors.. when I see university students renting out a resort for an OT just to drink all night, do weird things, and throw up in the hallway? I can't help but think that we need to re-evaluate the meaning of an OT.
7. [+529, -8] The driver left us now... rest in peace...
8. [+428, -6] Why is an OT such a big deal, just do that in a lecture hall at school
9. [+390, -2] It's the driver that has died... rest in peace
10. [+386, -3] Do it on campus. Why the need for 2 nights and 3 days...